Sunday, May 17, 2009

Writing Styles

I adore that which is different, unique, unusual. That includes writing styles.

I was captivated, when in English, we read Anne Bradstreet's poem "Upon the Burning of Our House" (I believe that is the correct title). The way she worded her poem was unusual. Words switched around in order that meant the same but in a way not how most people would arrange them. Except I often do that, so I was ecstatic to find myself not alone in that quirky instance. I go around actually using words such as "alas," "methinks," and "thus".

I was captivated by Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca and Frenchman's Creek. Again, they are written in a manner not typical, at least in modern times and especially not American writing. Also, if you get the chance, check out Hitchcock's version of Rebecca and Mobile Masterpiece Theatre's version of Frenchman's Creek. They rock.

Now I finally picked up Elizabeth Peters' first Amelia Peabody book, Crocodile On the Sandbank, and I'm delighted again by her writing. I should give some examples but basically one aspect that sets it apart is that it is British and I believe it is set around the Victorian era. Which is a time period that fascinates me.

By the way, Amanda Quick (aka Jayne Anne Krentz and Jayne Castle) writes some awesome Regency era Romances that also have a good amount of mystery in them. Other authors that write many books set in that time period are Mary Balogh, Johanna Lindsay, Jacquie D'allessandro, Julia Quinn, Jo Beverly, and there are several more but my mind is drawing a blank.

Does anyone else have any suggestions of other writers I should check out?