I'm a Christian. My faith is my everything. My foundation. The only thing I put my trust into.
And I'm also goth, love things paranormal (mainly vampires and shape-shifters), and deal with issues such as Human Trafficking, self-injury, depression, sexual abuse/assault, domestic violence, PTSD, and dissociative disorders.
I write about the issues above as well as (currently what I'm focusing on) paranormal subjects.
I'm actually working on creating a Christian Paranormal Fiction series.
My problem is how to integrate such seemingly often opposing subjects.
Also I've always felt lead to have my writing published in the secular market, just with Christian characters and values and "clean."
My problem with most in the Christian market is that too often they are not realistic in that they are so clean and so careful not to step on any toes that it looses a lot IMHO. A few exceptions I have found are Linda Windsor and Ruth Axtell Morren.
Then I also want to write about such heavy issues, that I don't think should be toned down in the hopes of not being too upsetting. But these issues are upsetting and sugar coating them does survivors of such an injustce.
But how do you integrate a strong Christian theme/message/characters into the secular market and not come across "preachy"?
Either way it goes...secular or Christian publication...will be a challenge.
I'm still working on how I'm going to work these vampires and werewolves of my current WIPs into a Christian message.
It is not the easist thing to do...but I love my faith and love paranormal stories too much to not work this out.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Mixing my faith and my passions
Labels:
Christian,
Christian vampires,
fiction,
paranormal,
werewolves